Saturday, December 10, 2016

Stuffed Elephant, Trunk Included


Why do elephants have trunks? Because they’d look silly with glove compartments. 

This super-cute stuffed elephant pattern comes with it's own trunk to store all the darling clothes that go with it. 






I'm not going to lie, this project took a lot of time. The instructions were good though and it's doable, it just requires patience, (which I am lacking a little when it comes to sewing and life). It's all basic sewing, there are just a lot of steps, especially for the suitcase part. The clothes were a breeze and construction was easy. 




Fusible interfacing and I don't always get along. (It has something to do with that patience thing.) It's necessary for this project to ensure the sturdiness of the case. The pattern calls for Pellon Peltex 71, which is ironed on the two main case pieces where the dresser and bed are attached. It's a very stiff craft interfacing. 

Pellon Peltex Link

I've never used the product before, but it worked well. The bands around the case require a different fusible interfacing. Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions to get a good bond. 

I made a few simple adjustments to the pattern. I changed the foot shape of the dresser. I also used a different method for the lamp, lamp shade and window because I didn't like how the case fabric showed through the prints with the applique method specified in the pattern instructions. I traced the pattern piece on a double layer of fabric, right sides together. I sewed on that line, leaving an opening, clipped and trimmed the seams then turned them right side out. After pressing, I stitched using a straight stitch at the pattern placement line.

And here's a little warning because I don't want you to do what I did. The side bands around the case require almost every bit of forty-five inches. I used a quilting cotton, but pre-washed my fabric. It shrunk just enough that I had to piece the side bands. It still worked out, but be aware that you will need the full width of the fabric for these band pieces.

Now, just one more joke since this elephant has such a stylish wardrobe. What do you call an elephant wearing pink earmuffs and a dress? Anything you want. She can’t hear you.

No comments:

Post a Comment