Sunday, January 15, 2017

Quick and Easy Baby Blanket

Can a baby have too many comfy blankets? I think not! If you want a handmade gift but don't have hours to devote to it, this is the project for you! 


I found the tutorial I've used over and over again here:

https://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FL_ST_Construction_2007-401pr.pdf

However, there are more tutorials and videos on the internet than you can shake a stick at. If you search for mitered corner blanket, you will find more than you will ever need. If a video works best for you, this is a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psq5x8EqbtI

Be advised that she keeps referring to this blanket as a 10 minute project. She must be super speedy, because I've made several and it still takes me longer than that. I'd say from start to finish, this can be completed in under an hour, especially after you've made a few. 

Take it from me, even if the tutorial you use doesn't mention it, always, always, always wash and dry both fabrics. (Did I forget to mention always?) Since the flannels will shrink at different rates, you'll be glad you did when your blanket still lays flat after it's laundered. 

For best results, be careful to measure your squares exactly and also find the exact center of your fabric after the squares are cut. From there, it's straight stitching all the way! 





I used some blue flannel polka dot left over from another project (because I'm a sucker for polka dots), along with a cute animal print I found at a local shop and voilĂ . Quick and easy! With all the cute fabrics out there, the possibilities are endless. 

P.S. I skip the final step of the USU tutorial and do not stitch a square in the center of the blanket because I don't like the way it looks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment